Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day One: The rest...

Our first semi-serious walk was only about 4 hours long, but it seemed much longer to me. We began by walking through the botanical gardens, hanging out with the Hermanos de Julio (see photo of statuesque black cat). This garden is about 3 blocks from our front door, so we'll be taking many walks through it, I'm sure.

En route to getting an obelisk thingy out of the way (a monument to the unsuccessful first attempt at founding Buenos Aires, located on the famous Avenida 9 de Julio, named for the date of national independence), we stopped by to check out the medical library. It was in a nice big parthenony building next to a torn up park with a military horse-riding guy in the middle of it. It was too torn up to read the plaque revealing the identity of SeƱor Horsie, but I'm sure he was a wonderful man, and I means him no disrespeck.


The library was closed, but it looked like it would probably contain a lot of useful books. So that was satisfying.

The Avenida 9 de Julio itself was an amazing mass of moving cars; a complete waste of time, in other words. The obelisk was pretty big, I guess.

We then made our way to the subte (metro) stop that would take us home, but we found that, for one day only, the entire line was not running in order to allow for the institution of something new. Our Spanish broke down on the key noun revealing what this new thing was, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

Complete day number one draws to a close after a mediocre dinner and two 1L Heinies at two very different bars. It's all so weird, I don't know where to begin. But I know where to end. Right here, mis hermanos.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Congratulations on your new adventure! Tell it like it is!
Looking forward to the next installment,
Nancy

jojohamma said...

HEY KIDS!

nice blog.

I hope you can make it nice and big, but longer also.

I want to know all the stinky details, so don't leave any out. And while you are at it, don't forget to LIGHT A MATCH.

Love,

Joel

Frank said...

Very good.

I am currently trapped in a Russian freezer and require more news of your warm love travels to keep me alive.

Also please more pictures of the South American cats.

Neil B-F said...

There are so many damn cats in that park, they would fill my measly 128MB memory card in 5 minutes. It is pretty hilarious though, seeing so many cats doing cat things outdoors. Like, I saw one stalking in the underbrush, poised to strike... Jen had to point out that the cat was actually taking a dump. So there you go... Wild South America.

-NBF